Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Morning Congress Conflict Commentary

The on-line mediator discussion groups are buzzing about how mediation could help congress with the current budget mess. There's talk of bringing Bill Clinton in to act as mediator.

I have a somewhat different perspective.  As I see it, now is the time to enlist, position, and anoint a mediator as our national conflict expert so the American people (not congress) can start learning about mediation and the role the process can play when its time for an ugly conversation. 

Because congress is too pig-headed to actually allow a mediator to help what we (mediators) should be doing is getting on TV to show the American people what could be done. Mediation is just assisted negotiation.  Clearly congress needs assistance with their negotiations. But, they don't want assistance. The American people need to be using their "persuasive techniques." We mediators just need to educate the people about how that works.

This is also a great time to promote the idea of electing mediators to public office. The bottom line is this mess was - to a large extent - created by the special interests who are running the show.  And, its going to be a difficult battle ahead.  However, if we had some mediators in congress we would be in much better shape. 

4 comments:

  1. Bill Clinton alone couldn't mediate the budget-debt ceiling mess. It would take a tag team: Clinton and George H. W. Bush. They have worked together on humanitarian missions before. Each of them could get one side's trust in Congress. That's the only way to start this mediation, but I fear it is too late for that. And you're right, Elinor. Congress is too pig-headed to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think in Order to prepare properly the congressional personalities...
    we should have a contingent Law whereby all members of Congress get their licenses suspended, their cars booted And are forced to consume Ipecac syrup ... to create time and space for new food for thought and an impending solution. Do you think I have a chance in public office?
    No, seriously... I really want to know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzette, The real question is are you elect-able. I am 100% convinced that if elected you would do a lot better than the current crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reliable, undeniable, justifiable… and recently I found out I am NOT certifiable!
    Whoosh! That was a close call. ;-) So, I’ll have to set the sails and wait for the true wind to set the divinely charted course... Electable? I do not fell a resonance with that word… but then I have no frame of reference for it either… the big hurdle will be the skirt, blouse and panty hose…Hhhhh!
    I guess I can count on your vote one day. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete