Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tsuris

The Yiddish word Tsuris (tso͝oris) is translated as troubles or problems. But, the feeling (and the punch) of the word is lost in translation. The word tsuris goes beyond problems. The connotation is insurmountable difficulties or woes of the worst kind. Interestingly, the word tsuris is almost always used as a plural - this must be because problems that are judged as tsuris always travel in packs.

Recently a friend was complaining about her "situation."  I felt little sympathy but wasn't sure why. (I am not usually so heartless.)  And then I realized that she had knowingly created the mess AND she had the power (but it would take some unpleasantness) to clean it up.

There are two kinds of problems: the ones we create and the ones that fall into our laps. After an honest assessment regarding one's level of responsibility, these two types of problems can be viewed with different lenses. And then, after the brief analysis of problem creation, its time to move onto problem solution. Problems have two possible outcomes. Some I have the power to solve. And, some are outside of my sphere of influence - I cannot really do anything about them.  When faced with a problem that I have the power to solve I have to get to it. When faced with a problem that I cannot solve, all I can do is let go and be patient as the resolution unfolds.

If you are faced with problem/s. Take a good look.  How much did you bring on yourself? How much is truly uninvited? (This might be the universe giving you a wake-up call.)  While it might mean an unpleasant undertaking, is it within your power to solve your problem? Or is what happens next beyond your control?

May your have no tsuris.

1 comment:

  1. OR...when I am faced with a problem I cannot solve... get a mediator! Elinor, I just had a long chat with a retired Judge who thinks the world of you!!! I had no idea you were held in such high regard by so many. Wow! AND you've got Heart!Of this fact, I have personal experience.
    Thank You for all that you do to make this world a better place.

    ReplyDelete